At St Kevin’s students learn to appreciate mathematics as an essential and relevant part of life by developing their ability to work mathematically.
The Mathematics K – 10 Syllabus is organised into four strands – one process strand, Working Mathematically, and three content strands: Number and Algebra, Statistics and Probability, Measurement and Geometry. There are sixteen sub-strands branching out from the three content strands. Working Mathematically encompasses processes that are embedded into the other strands through the content.
Our aim is for our students to:
- be confident, creative users and communicators of mathematics
- be able to investigate, represent and interpret situations in the world around them
- develop an increasingly sophisticated understanding of mathematical concepts and fluency with mathematical processes
- be able to pose and solve problems and reason in Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, and Statistics and Probability
- recognise connections between the areas of mathematics and other disciplines and appreciate mathematics as an accessible, enjoyable discipline to study, and an important aspect of lifelong learning.